Monday, August 11, 2008

Indonesians are generally thick, dirty and not very bright ...

... and that's not a coffee tasting description that you want overheard in public!

With Saturdays free now, I have managed to make it to BBB for cuppings. It seems that most people use BBB's cuppings as a way to learn more about coffee and to build their palate. It's not an exaggeration to say that people travel far and wide for this opportunity - last week Emanuel from Ristretto in Perth turned up; this week it was Perth espresso godfather Corey from Epic and a bus load of his staff. It's great to see such dedication ... and mind-boggling to see a cafe owner flying his baristi across the country just to check out some cafes.

That's all well and good, but cuppings also provide a fantastic opportunity to sample BBB's offerings to work out what to take home. Last week, I was on a bit of a mission to find a fantastic, generic chocolate-bar type blend. I had a fantastic drip coffee - more on that next post - and, so, was looking for the opposite end of the spectrum for my morning cappuccino. I found it in mystery cup number 7:



Cupping: From memory, the cup was not particularly pleasant whilst hot, with an odd rubbery/chemical overtone. After cooling, the dominant sensation in the cup was body, supported by hints of sweetness, dirt, broth and the immortal "funky forest floor." Remarkably clean, for what it was.

Espresso: Striking, dense, brick-red crema. Heavy body. Some acidity, bleeding into a slightly unpleasant camphor/terpene (chemical) finish.

Cappuccino: Effortlessly mastered even relatively large amounts of milk, leaving me wondering whether I hadn't inadvertently added several spoons of Milo. Sledgehammer subtlety.

No prizes for guessing that this was a Sumatran Mandheling - actually a new crop Kuda Mas. I'm looking forward to this one over the next few months.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What about cup number 8?
I can't believe you didn't mention it?

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Luca said...

Yeah; sucks to anyone who didn't get to taste this week's #8. Took forever to hand-sort it out from the rest of the lot. Have you tucked into your lot yet? Are we going to *finally* make it to Auction Rooms this weekend?

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Emanuele said...

It was awesome to bump into you guys. Thanks Mark, BBB Bridget and guys for the coffee and experience - I'll see what I can muster for my return. Sharing and experiencing coffee is a GOOOOD THING!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Luca said...

So random to see you and then Corey at BBB one after the other.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

No, I haven't tucked into my lot yet. Have you? (Syphon or espresso?)
As for the Auction Rooms, I'll email Andrew and see when he'll be around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home