Monday, August 21, 2006

Yauco Selecto

About the coffee: This coffee comes from the Yauco region in Puerto Rico and, like Jamaican Blue Mountain, is pricey. Very pricey. Since I first met Peter Wolff from Veneziano Caffe, he has raved about it, so when he finally got some in a few weeks ago it was time for him to put his money where his mouth is. The coffee itself is hard, clean processed and had a great dark blue tinge to it. It roasted very evenly but, curiously, it looked much lighter on the outside than it did when it was ground. So was it any good?


The tasting notes:

Espresso
- 4 days old
-Silvia/Rocky
-LM Basket, up-dosed, extra 10 sec of heat, 2 min or so temp surf
-LM Cup full at circa 25 seconds, immediately dropped to 1/2 volume
-Sweet, but very gentle acidity, like drinking some sort of fruit juice; more, more!
-Marzipan and star fruit smell came out when brewing and was present in the cup, but not strongly (Daterra marzipan)
-Very balanced

Espresso
- 9 days
-Silvia/Rocky
-LM Basket, up-dosed slightly, extra 7 sec heat, 2 min or so temp surf
-45mL in 27 seconds
-Not as sweet, but still some sweetness
-Star fruit taste gone, but some vague rosewater/turkish delight flavours
-Acidity more muted
-Great syrupy body

Vac Pot - 9 days
-Vac potted twice this week, really need to work on my vac pot technique!
-Very, very clean
-Brown Sugar
-Again, fruit flavours muted, probably more technique than anything else. That said, the guests at mother dearest's b'day dinner didn't leave a single drop at the bottom of their cups.




Conclusions:

An awesome coffee that I'd happily drink again as a single origin espresso, unlike the Jamaican Blue Mountain that I've tried. Blending this one is probably a no-goer; I'd want to appreciate it for itself.

Links:

Tom's take at Sweet Maria's

Cafe Yauco Selecto's Webpage

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice nice...
so... what's the deal about the deco?

go easy,
henry

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Luca said...

Hey henry,

We basically had a deal to pick them all up; the importers then started talking to us about spare parts and such and when we asked for a price they never got back to us! I forgot about it for a while with all the VBC and WBC excitement, so i'll send a quick email and see if we can't get them coming. I'd LOVE to have a 3-cup deco so that I could vac pot more often; the 6-cup bodum is rather ridiculous for one cup!

Cheers,

Luca

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea to start a log of coffees tasted.

The Yauco Selecto sounds sweet, old varietal, good terroir etc... Is it a blend or SO? Was it some of 2005 crop or newer/older?

Is the high price for the green bean due to the market demand or Puerto's attachment to the USA as a territory? (meaning that wages have to be paid according to North American standards)


The link to Sweetmarias is broken , there is one too many http starters.
http//www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.islands.PR.html

p.s. chalk me up for a 3 cup deco too.

Nim.

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Is the high price...Puerto's attachment to the USA... "


(slaps self upside the head)

duh! I should have read Tom's notes at Sweetmarias before shooting my mouth off ;P
N.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Luca said...

Hey Nim,

As far as I know, the YS is a SO and is the 2006 crop. Pete got about five bags of different cool stuff in a few weeks ago to experiment with!

We finally got around to roasting the Sri Lankan stuff that you bought back not long ago, but I think that it has been left untouched for a week! Hopefully I'll be able to rescue it today, otherwise it's down the tubes :(

Cheers,

Luca

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Larry said...

have you tried it thru the cyncra?

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Luca said...

Larry,

No, haven't tried it through the Cyncra. Should be absolute magic, though. The Cyncra is great with really clean cupping coffees. I'd imagine that we could really amplify the rosewater or starfruit characteristics with a bit of fooling around. Have you tried it through yours?

Nice blog; better add it to the links!

Nim,

Whoops, sorry, was not able to rescue the Sri Lankan stuff :( I think that there was also some Mattari and Likempti that was wasted ...

Cheers,

Luca

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Larry said...

No, I haven't pulled any through the Cyncra but had a couple fine shots of it off my friends Elektra. He gave me a couple pounds to roast up but I forgot about it and left it there. I'll pick it up next time I'm over there.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Luca said...

Can't wait to hear what you think about it, Larry. Which Elektra was it? If it was the lever machine, I might have to dust of my La Peppina lever ... and beg for some more Yauco ;P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home